Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Tricks when eating out

I know when everyone goes out to eat with your friends and family, sometimes we don't realize how much food we are eating, or how bad it is for us. Restaurants use a lot of fatty ingredients, and we can't control how much butter, etc. that they use. Just because you are eating out doesn't mean there aren't things you can do to make better choices. Here are some tips for what I do when I am out. They are great things to follow by to keep yourself, and family living a healthy lifestyle.

1. Don't finish your plate, eat until you are satisfied, and take the rest to go (just eat the rest for lunch the next day). Chew your food slowly and enjoy what you are eating. Be mindful to stop eating before you are full. It takes time for your body to register that you have eaten.

2. Get your dressing on the side, especially if you cant stay away from ranch, honey mustard, and other more fatty dressings, and dip it, dont pour it all over your salad. You will be surprised how much you don't use!

3. Stay away from fried foods

4. Stay away from high-fat meats like bacon, ham, ask if you can replace it with chicken, or turkey.

5. If they have the option switch to whole wheat bread

6. Try to stay away (or limit yourself) to the heavy mayo, or special sauces

7. If it is something like pizza, ask for thin crust

8. When I eat burgers, I take the bread off completely, and put it with lettuce instead. If you can't handle that, break yourself in slowly, just use the bottom piece of bread.

9. Instead of getting a Caesar salad, get a garden salad.

10. Drink water with your meal!!!

11. Pay attention to what you eat and savor each bite.

I am OBSESSED with mexican food, and it can be so hard sometimes. But since I am so obsessed with it, I have to be careful, and had to start changing my ways.

1. instead of eating a ton of chips, I ask if I can have some corn tortillas. They are so much better for you

2. Get black beans instead of refried (less fat)

3. Limit your sour cream, and cheese use (this is hardest for me) I usually squeeze some lime juice on my meat to add more flavor.

4. Stay away from fried foods

5. Order a meat instead of enchiladas, or something heavy. I always get fajitas, because its grilled, and you can either split it with someone, or take it for the next day. Or even cook some eggs for breakfast, and throw your leftover steak in it.