Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Healthy Carb replacements

I know a lot of you are thinking "there is no way I can cut out carbs completely!" Well I said the exact same thing before I started cooking. Which don't get me wrong I do have my heavy carbs every now then. But I have cut them down about a huge amount, & found a replacement with other items. It's not as bad as it sounds, when you cut the heavy carbs. Just start trying a couple new things and tricking your family
Into thinking they have the real thing, and they won't notice the difference!
Heavy carbs:
- potatoes
- rice
- bread
- grits
- pasta

Replacements:
- spaghetti squash: can replace any type of pasta, and it replicates the look of it as well
- yellow squash: in place of pasta or noodles. I slice them very thin with a mandolin. I used this in a pesto "pasta" recently
- zucchini/eggplant: can be in replacement of noodles, or a potato. I have several times made a pasta sauce and stuffed either of these items with the pasta meat. You can also slice them thin, and use them to layer a
Lasagna in place of noodles.
- cauliflower: can be a replacement for multiple things. I have used it for mock mashed potatoes, blended it to a
Rice texture and served a gumbo over, or even blended to grits texture and made shrimp and "grits."
- cabbage/lettuce: this can be a great tortilla, bread replacement.

This can be challenging at first, but can end up being a huge lifestyle changer. Remember if you begin to eat less heavy carbs, begin to eat more fiber and protein to keep you full. Almonds are always a great snack to keep handy to keep you full.