Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Shrimp and grits

I am a true southern girl, and can't go without my shrimp in grits. I was constantly eating it when I lived in Oxford,Ms attending ole miss! If you have never been, they have some of the best food I've ever had in my life in the square! I finally mastered a shrimp in grits recipe I love! Hope you enjoy!

Ingredients:
- 1.5 c chicken broth
- 1 c coconut milk
- 1/2 bell pepper (I used green)
- 3 sticks of diced celery
- 1 container of diced mushrooms
- 1/2 onion
- 1 sausage (I used andouille)
- 1 lb shrimp (peeled)
- 4 slices of bacon
- 2 c of cauliflower (blended) if you don't like cauliflower you can use polenta or grits

Instructions:
1. Cook bacon, when it's finished take it out and soak up grease in napkin and set aside. Pour out grease (I put foil in a bowl so it is easy to clean) keep 1 tbsp in the skillet
2. Pour all the diced veggies in the skillet. Cook until they are brown.
3. Add coconut milk, and broth. Mix together and cook on medium heat for 5 mins
4. Add in sausage, cook 5 mins
5. Add in bacon and shrimp. Cook until shrimp turns orange.

While the shrimp mixture cooks:
1. Cook cauliflower
2. Drain water when finished
3. pour into blender and blend into grit texture
4. I put mine in cupcake holders after and let them bake 20 mins to get a crust.

Place "grits" in bowl, and top with shrimp mixture.