Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Unprocessed October

A new month has arrived, and its time to start fresh before the holidays, and challenge yourself. I know the holidays can be hard to eat 100% healthy all of the time. So ago ahead and start eating clean before the holidays, so you will have more control when it comes time for Thanksgiving.

 My challenge for you is... taking the steps to get rid of processed foods in your house, or prevent yourself from buying it in the first place.  I found a great blog called Eating Rules and they have Ten Steps to an Unprocessed pantry. After a week without putting the processed food in your body, you will feel amazing!! I promise. When you are eating more fruits, veggies, and meats you sleep better, and just feel better throughout the day having a lot more energy. My mom and her boyfriend began doing it recently, and she called to tell me how great they have felt lately. Also, her boyfriend has lost weight already in 2 weeks!

I will say, I used to LOVEEEE chips and ranch dip, and I won't lie I snacked on it way too often. About a week ago, Ryan and I were grocery shopping and I bought chips (which I havent done in months) and made ranch dip. I know we all have those days sometimes... but as soon as I had a couple chips, I was completely nauseous and it tasted disgusting! I ended up throwing it all away, and I am sure that was my bodies way of rejecting it, because I didn't need it. After a certain amount of time, eating healthy everyday, and always making healthy choices, your body does not crave the things it use to! So challenge yourself, give it a couple weeks, and I promise you will start to notice changes in your energy level, sleeping, and not feeling bloated constantly. Just because you are eating healthy does not mean you are on a diet... its a lifestyle choice! When you are snacking on almonds, fruits, and veggies, you can eat more!

Here are the 10 rules listed from Eating Rules website!
  1. No artificial ingredients. It’s time to remove all of the items like chips, dips, dressings, etc. that do not contribute to a whole foods diets.
  2. Get rid of everything that contains high fructose corn syrup and any trans fats.
  3. Avoid any “instant” mixes, boxed meals and processed chips.
  4. Examine your energy bar. Read the label. If it has any ingredients you do not recognize, switch brands.
  5. Get rid of any pre-made sauces with added sugars or other additives. For example, replace jarred sauces with organic, low-sodium tomato paste. It still gives you the convenience of a quick sauce but provides a single ingredient pantry item as the starter.
  6. Steer clear of canned fruits or vegetables. Frozen varieties offer more nutrition if fresh produce is not an option.
  7. Eliminate microwave popcorn bags. Part of going unprocessed means incorporating as many whole food, single ingredient items as possible into your pantry. Buy kernels in bulk and pop the old-fashioned way.
  8. Replace sugars with honey or maple syrup which fall under the whole food category, unlike processed sugars.
  9. Purchase 100% fruit juice and unsweetened applesauce.
  10. Use only whole grain foods like brown rice and whole wheat pasta.