Monday, January 27, 2014

BBQ bacon and chicken "pizza"

Working 12 hour shifts can be pressed for time at night, and I am not in the mood to stand in the kitchen all night making dinner. So this past weekend I went ahead and prepped all my pizza stuff before hand, so I just had to roll it out and throw it in the oven. I spread out my crust in plastic wrap (or parchment paper will work) and slowly rolled it up, and placed it in the fridge. I also went ahead and cooked my chicken and diced bacon , and diced my onions before hand and stored as well. When I got home I just preheated the oven, rolled out and spread my crust, and placed the toppings on. 

Ingredients:

Crust:
- 1 head of cauliflower (you can use frozen bag but it will have more water to drain)

- 1 egg
- 1/4 c cornmeal 

- 2 tbsp Italian seasoning 

Pizza:
- 1.5 c low calorie/low sodium BBQ sauce 
- 1/2 diced purple onion

- 3-4 slices of bacon
- 3 chicken breast 
- 3/4 c low fat mozzarella cheese 


Instructions: 
1. Preheat oven to 400'. Place cauliflower in food processor/blender, and blend until rice consistency. Also, place chicken in oven on baking sheet, and cook.  

2. Place cauliflower in bowl, put in microwave for 5 minutes. If it has a wet consistency, place in a towel, twist, and drain out all the water. 
3. Place cauliflower back in bowl and add egg, cornmeal, seasoning and blend again
4. After you blend it will be a thicker consistency. Place parchment paper on baking sheet (or sometimes I use a baking stone) pour mixture in center. Take a spoon or cake spread, and begin to carefully spread mixture evenly on pan, making a 1 inch layer.  
5. Place crust in oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until it begins to golden a little.

6. While everything else is cooking, begin to cook diced up bacon, adding in purple onions. Mix together, and saute them together, then set aside when bacon is close to finish cooking. 
7. After chicken is cooked, let it cool, then begin to shred chicken in bowl and let it marinate in 1/2 c BBQ sauce. 
6. Take the crust out of oven, spread with BBQ sauce, top with onion mixture, chicken, and cheese.
7. Place back in oven for 15 minutes.
8. Slice and serve 







 Try my turkey pepperoni pizza for the kiddos